The Cost of Living: Local Support and Tips for Managing
27th Jan 2023
If you're struggling to make ends meet, you're not alone. The high cost of living can make it difficult for many people to afford basic necessities like housing, food, and utilities. That's where a local charity like ours can help. We offer a variety of services to support those in need, including debt advice, utility bills assistance, benefit and welfare support and advice.
1. Take advantage of local resources: There may be programs and services available in your community that can help you save money and provide support
- Charnwood Borough Council has put together this handy website to help you navigate the support Help and support with rising cost of living - Charnwood Borough Council
- Local food banks and food support can be found here:Food Banks | CFPG (charnwood-fpg.org.uk)
- We offer support, advice and referrals to food banks, Sofa (a local furniture charity) and VitaMinds (accesssing therapies) and the Warmer house scheme. Book an appointment by contacting us:Contact us | Equality Action Loughborough
- The Household Support Fund: This aims to help households in most need with food, energy vouchers or essential kitchen equipment. In exceptional circumstances, you could apply for support with housing costs. Find out more here: Household Support Fund (leicester.gov.uk) If you think you are eligible get in touch and we can help you with a referral.
2. Look for ways to save on everyday expenses: small changes to your daily routine can add up to big savings. For example, you might be able to cut back on your energy usage by using energy-efficient appliances or sealing air leaks in your home. You might also be able to save money on groceries by shopping around. We will be sharing some tips via our social media channels and encouraging you to share your tips with us. Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram.
3. Seek out financial assistance: If you're struggling to make ends meet, there is support out there. Our team are trained in understanding debt management and can provide some advice. Citizen Advice Bureau also has lots of great resources on their website for you to understand how to manage debt Help with debt - Citizens Advice
4. Don't forget about your mental health: Financial struggles can take a toll on your mental health. If you're feeling overwhelmed or struggling to cope, it's important to reach out for support. Our team can support you in accessing talking therapies through Vita Minds to help you manage your mental health during this difficult time. We also run many well-being and health sessions and activities which help promote good mental and physical health.
We know it is not always easy to navigate the support out there; if you are struggling, reach out to our trained team, and we will help you access the support you need.
Contact us: Contact us | Equality Action Loughborough